Today, the authenticity of every Filipino food wouldn't really matter, as long as it will suit your taste or it is a delectable dish this will be the issue.
Just like Laing which originally came from the Bicol region, today, this delicacy is also known all over the country with different ways in preparing it. But you can really enjoy a dish when you taste the authentic one. Bicolanos are consider as one of the country's greatest cooks, they have the origanal way in preparing this food, a distinct taste that others couldn't copy.
The basic ingredients of this recipe are the dried leaves or stalks of taro(dahon ng gabi), coconut milk (gata) and red chili peppers (siling labuyo). The dahon ng gabi will be slowly cooked using the coconut milk and other ingredients.
- 2 tbsp cooking oil
- 1 tbsp peeled and minced garlic
- 2 medium peeled and minced onion,
- 1/2 kilo sliced porkloin
- 1 kilo dried gabi (taro leaves and stalks)
- 4- 5 cups coconut milk
- shrimp paste (bagoong)
- 3-4 pieces sliced red chili peppers (siling labuyo)
- In a casserole, Add the pork meat. Let it cook until it turns red.
- Sauté garlic, ginger and onions together with the meat.
- Mix in the gabi leaves.
- Pour in the coconut milk or gata. Bring to a boil then simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add the chili (siling labuyo), shrimp paste bagoong, salt. Simmer for another 5 minutes.
- Add the coconut cream and continue to simmer until it excreat oil comes.
Photo: From Flickr