Because Philippines is a country that is diverse with multi-cultural ethnicity, preparing dishes in every region have different style, taste and even ingredients. One of this food is the Kinilaw.
Basically, Kinilaw is a method of cooking raw meat in either from seafoods just like fishes and shrimps, beef, goat and some also use the exotic dog meat, using vinegar, ginger, onions and squeeze juice from citrus. Frequently, fish kinilaw is the most popular among them.
Kinilaw na isda is also consider as a viand. It is best partner with a hot steamed rice. Others also prepare this while on drinking session or even as an appetizer.
Prominent Ingredients of a Fish Salad:
- ½ kilo fish (sliced in cubes)
- 200 mL vinegar (from coconut sap)
- 3 tbsp lemon or kalamansi juice
- 1 small chopped red onion
- 2 tbs of chopped ginger
- 2 pcs of chopped red chili pepper(siling labuyo), optional
- Salt and vetsin (msg) to taste
How to Prepare:
- Marinade fish in coconut vinegar for at least 30mins to an hour
- Drain and combine with all ingredients
- Let stand refrigerated for about another 30mins to an hour.
- Then serve.
Photo from www.edrosolano.com