After experiencing a two times of seizure, I was more conscious of my food intake. I make sure that there is always a vegetable and fruits in every meal, I limit the rice in my plate to one scoop and increase those recipe that I know it can boost my health.
As I researched thru the internet, I came across this rare recipe which is almost unknown to the young generation. They call this as Ensaladang Pako or Pako Salad. The main ingredient of this recipe is the fiddle-head fern combined with a twist of different Philippines available mixture.
I have tried to copy the photo that had captivated my attention. And when I tasted it, I found out that it turns-out to be nice. So I am sharing to you the Ingredients and preparation in making it.
- Paco Tops / Fiddle-head Ferns
- Sliced Shallots or Onions
- Sliced Tomatoes
- Salted Egg (Itlog na Pula)
- Vinegar (preferably apple cider)
- Orange Zest
- Kesong Puti (Caraboa's Milk Cheese)
- Fish Sauce
- Hot water
- Ice cubes
- Submerge fiddle-head fern into the hot (boiling) water for about a minute.
- Transfer the fern in a cold water with ice cubes to stop from being cook.
- Remove the fern from the water and drain it thoroughly.
- From a separate bowl, mix vinegar, sugar and fish sauce to make a vinaigrette.
- Combine the fern with sliced shallots and tomatoes.
- Toss it with vinaigrette.
- Squeeze with some kalamansi.
- Then top with sliced salted-egg and kesong puti.
- Lastly, designed and scattered the orange zest.
Photo from http://fennelbulb.blogspot.com